Thursday, October 14, 2010

How to deal.

I feel like the student that I had an issue with a few weeks ago is purposely not-trying in class, and she's doing very poorly on quizzes. I think she's doing it because she thinks it will bother me. I want her to do well and I KNOW she can do well, she definitely has the ability, but it doesn't bother me. I know the answers, and it doesn't affect my job really, so she's only hurting herself. How am I supposed to talk to her, or do I even try to? I feel like she'll be immediately defensive and accuse me of accusing her of not trying, calling her stupid, etc. I think maybe I'll ask the question in class.

Most of my students are doing well, but I think I'm going to offer an extra-credit assignment and count it as a quiz? (or homework or heure-en-solo or what!?!). I'm not sure if I want to assign it in French or in English. They do not know how to say a lot in French, so they'd resort to using translators or trying to using vocab/grammar that is WAY above their level. If I do it in English...well.. it's a French class. So I'm not sure what to do.

We have a test next week, a much "heftier" one than the first. I really hope they do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment