Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How Rude!

I had my first rude student encounter. Not wanting to really get into it on a blog - but she took various elements of communication the wrong way (apparently to this generation, using punctuation in e-mails makes you a b****) and because I marked her answer wrong on a test (even though the answer was incorrect), I'm the worst TA ever.

I was pretty flustered after class yesterday because of this - but after venting and thinking about it, I know that she is in the wrong. I did a CYA e-mail to my TA supervisor, and I'm sure nothing will come of it.


I think I have a good relationship with my students. They respect me (well, most) without me having to have that "I'm the teacher, I'm always right, do what I say or FAIL" thing going on. They know I'm barely older than they are, they know I'm a grad student. But when I stand in front of the class, they listen, when I ask them to turn to a page, do an exercise, or assign something - they do it. I find that not only do they smile/laugh in each class, but I do too. I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment